Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The work of evangelism

As most of you know, I am almost done with my bachelor's degree.  One of the final classes I am taking is a course on evangelism.  Evangelism is one of those things that we all know we need to do, but many of us put off doing.  I for one have used more excuses than I can remember for why I couldn't talk to someone about Christ.  Well, I am getting sick of my excuses.  Sharing the gospel isn't an optional thing for any of us.  Most of us probably are afraid to share with others.  Maybe we are afraid of saying the wrong thing.  Of course, if you are a believer in Jesus Christ, all you need to do is share how he changed your life.  There is no way you can get that wrong.  I saw a video as a part of my class, where Ray Comfort asked believers if they could overcome their fear of witnessing if they were given $1000 dollars for every person they witnessed to.  What a convicting question.  I have made a couple of adjustments in my life based on what I saw.  First, I decided that I needed to go and put my money where my heart is.  A couple of years ago, I heard about an organization called Gospel for Asia.  They are involved in using native missionaries to share with their people the Gospel of Christ.  For $30/month, you can be involved in sponsoring a pastor who is spreading the Gospel in Asia.  I know that it isn't as heartwarming perhaps as sponsoring a hungry child, but imagine the impact of this kind of sponsorship on the Kingdom of God.  I encourage you to check them out.  But even more than that, I encourage you to share your own story whenever you can.  

No comments: